Thursday, January 26, 2012

YA Elements

The second book is dreadfully close to being out now and I’m trying to make it as perfect as possible. Here, I would like to talk about some elements in it.
As her mother and as a fan, I would like to say that I like Paige Sawyer. She’s not a repulsive character and she’s not perfect. I tried my best to make her as close to a human being as possible while at the same time, changing her into something that wasn’t human. For those insensitive to human behavior and habits, this is a hard thing to do. I’m not saying I’m insensitive to such things, but I tried my best.

Problems arise in this book that, given the events in the first book, would inevitably have come about. Such as the struggle in Paige’s school life. In a lot of YA I see this mistake all the time. There’s the plot, the drama, the strife, and the struggle between characters in whatever abnormal situation they’re in. And then there’s the other part of their life which at once seems to disappear or become utterly neglected as soon as said plot comes along.

I am of course, talking about parents and school. Why is it the trend in YA for parents to be so absent from their children’s lives? Most YA protagonists are minors, which presumably mean they live with an adult (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles) who take care of them, and yet these authors do nothing to try and implement the teachings and wisdom from these characters.

Guardians play an immense part in a child’s behavior and personality, not only in negative ways, but in very positive ways too. They lecture us, they ground us, they pick us up from practice, they take us shopping, they give us “the talk,” and they wash our underwear. That all seems like pretty important stuff to me, so it amazes me how often these things get ignored in YA.

I’m not a psychologist, or a professor, or a literary genius. I am a writer. I’ve done my best to take what I know from real life to insert it in as interesting and believable a way as I can into my work in hopes that reader’s will connect with the elements inside.

One of my biggest goals right now is to improve as a writer so I can continue to make these connections. My characters depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment