Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Balance Problems

Oh my god. My schedule has been so screwed up lately, and trust me, by means that are absolutely NOT of my own doing. I'm talking of course, about Jury duty. First of all, NO, it's not that Anthony case everyone is raging about, thank Jesus. Under law I'm not permitted to talk about it, but all I'll tell you is that it's put a skewer in my writing consistency. But things like this tend to happen when you write. It is summer and I'm out of school, so my sleep schedule is twisted up nearly beyond repair, which makes waking up for these trials incredibly difficult. Especially since I do most--if not all--of my writing at night. I'm not a big coffee drinker, I avoid energy drinks like the plague, and neither am I good with taking medication of any kind. But still, I find ways through this so I can do more of what I love. Writing is like an addiction, something most people in my life can't understand. Like, at all. Stephen King's Misery laid the frame quite nicely, if you've read the book and not just watched the movie.


Now I'm not going to give you this big lecture about managing your time. That's boring. Plus, I trust you to do what you think is best in order to plan time to write. And even though I try desperately to practice what I preach, I'm not very good with keeping a consistent schedule. Oh well. The important thing is I try. Hard.

And just what am I spending so much time writing? Well, I'll tell you now I've been writing seriously ever since I was 15. I wrote an entire 400 page book at 15. Then scrapped it years later because it sucked ass. But strangely enough, I didn't feel bad about it. In fact, I was more relieved that I was competent enough to realize all the flaws and be able to come to that rational conclusion. Such is the case of gaining experience and getting older. I still write long stories like that, in hopes that one of them will be good enough to publish one day. I've written many stories and essays for school already, all of which were received very well by my mentors. But creative writing is what I love, and is something I will continue to do. I can't imagine ever not doing it, so hopefully I can see this through.

No comments:

Post a Comment