Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Writer's Block

When I wake up in the morning and turn over in my bed, that somehow gives my dog permission to whip his tongue out and give me a big wet one in the face. It's worse than a cold wash cloth. Anyway, about writer's block.

Writer's block sucks. You can do all the planning you want, but there will come a time when you find yourself lost in your own story, and not the good kind of lost.

When i get these horrendously annoying things called writer's block and my muse has found away to unlock the chain-ball I have around her leg (I think she goes bar hopping or something) I just sit there in front of my computer and stare at the words I've already written.

I sit and sit until I get and idea, which, as Stephen King says, is not the same as "getting" and idea. However, when you've hit that wall, simply "having" an idea is good enough, because "having" is like walking. "Getting" is running, but walking is still progress and gets you a few steps further to where you want to go. There's this wonderful invention called "editing" that allows you to go back and fix things you are unsatisfied with, and you can always do that once you've finished, so don't be afraid of "having" and idea.

And another little note, guys. Try not to be in a terrible rush to finish a book. Never be afraid to take your time. Just think of it. Do you want gold, or a diamond?

No comments:

Post a Comment